20XX FREE! Barony FREE! Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP! FREE! on PC!
Yes, it’s time for some more free games. As it’s Thursday, it’s another free game day on the Epic Games Store, except that there’s three!
First up is 20XX, originally released in November 2014; Barony, first released on Steam in June 2015, and Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP, which came out in 2011, and thus is the oldest game here in this trilogy, but still has a cool retro feel.
But how to claim these games?
First up: what are these games about?
- If you like roguelikes or Mega Man, 20XX is for you!
- Crisp, precise controls – do exactly what you want your character to!
- Over 100 mighty powerups to collect!
- Tons of different play modes and optional difficulty modifiers!
- Seeded Daily and Weekly Challenges!
- All gameplay features available in both single player and co-op! (online or local)
- Random levels: each time you play 20XX, the stages you play through will be brand new!
- Permanent death: each 20XX playthrough is a self-contained life! Death sends you back to HQ, where you can buy powerful upgrades for future runs. (There’s also a Reverent Mode where you get three lives to make it through the game instead of one.)
- Persistent Upgrades: as you play 20XX, you’ll earn Soul Chips, which unlock powerful Permanent Upgrades and expand the pool of items that can you can find as you play!
20XX is a roguelike action platformer that you can play with a friend. Jump and shoot your way through ever-changing levels, collect awesome new powers, and battle mighty bosses in the name of saving the human race maybe! The game also features full co-op. Play with a friend on the couch or over the interwebs! It also supports 1-2 players locally or online – crossplay is supported between Epic and Steam.
- Join the Party in Barony! Go on challenging dungeon runs with friends in this first-person roguelike RPG.
- Roguelike elements: Perma-death, random dungeons and cryptic mysteries for you to figure out with no handholding
- Cooperative multiplayer for up to 4 players over internet or LAN (includes Steam and direct-IP connections)
- Tons of valid playstyles and over a dozen classes to explore in an open-class system where you improve at what you practice
- Cross-play between hardware and online platforms
- 4 years of ongoing free content updates from a team that loves the game, the genre and the community
- 2 DLCs presenting a totally alternate way to play as 8 monsters and 8 new classes with unique abilities
- Surprises around every corner to be killed by, improvise around, adapt to, and conquer as you gain in skill as a player
- Loads of loot to manage and stats to analyze as you min/max your best synergies for victory
- Huge variety of adventuring weapons and equipment, lore books, loads of spells, plus some legendary artifacts
- Charming art style and tongue-in-cheek humor to offset the intensity with genre in-jokes and developer easter eggs
Get ready to tackle vicious roguelike dungeons in first-person. Barony is a blast alone, but it’s a party when you bring your dungeon-running buddies with you in cooperative multiplayer. Slay baddies, collect arcane treasures, invoke powerful spells, and tally up your death count on your way to defeating the forces of supernatural evil. Barony is a love-note to RPG classics like Ultima Underworld, System Shock, & Daggerfall, created by fans of the classics.
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP:
- An exploratory action adventure with an emphasis on audiovisual style. Traverse a mythic little realm, use a sword to do battle & evoke sworcery to solve mystical musical mysteries, and help a wandering warrior monk complete her woeful errand.
- Guide a warrior monk on a laid back adventure in a bronze age mountain wilderness, overcome battles & solve mystical musical puzzles to help The Scythian complete her woeful errand.
- Explore a lavishly-painted mythopoetic storyworld affected by real-world moon phases, conceived & crafted by a representative at Superbrothers Inc.
- Treat your ears to an album’s worth of original music created by the legendary composer Jim Guthrie.
- This edition of S:S&S EP for the electric computer has been faithfully re-engineered by videogame wizards at CAPY to support input via the two-button mouse.
The game features an album’s worth of original music by noted composer Jim Guthrie as well as artwork & designs by Superbrothers Inc, crafted & engineered by videogame wizards at Capy in Toronto, Canada.
Jim Guthrie’s legendarily epic Sword & Sworcery LP: The Ballad of the Space Babies is a landmark prog rock concept album from the noted composer. Jim’s compositions were named “The Best Videogame Music of 2011” by Kotaku, while Double Fine’s Tim Schafer said “The music is amazing. I want Jim Guthrie to score my life.”
So, how to claim these games for free?
For all three: Bring up the Epic Games Launcher (available from epicgames.com if you haven’t got it already), then go to Store, and you’ll see he game. Below the trailer and information about it, you’ll see the word ‘Get’ where the price is. Then, when the next screen comes up, click on ‘Place Order’… even though it’s free, then “I agree”. Along the way, it may also ask if you want to give your email address to the makers of the game for their mailing list, but this is a choice, rather than a requirement.
All three expire on August 6th at 4pm UK time.
Check out the trailers for all games below:
Reviewer of movies, videogames and music since 1994. Aortic valve operation survivor from the same year. Running DVDfever.co.uk since 2000. Nobel Peace Prize winner 2021.